Nowadays every second male is suffering from the old problem of dandruff. It’s very embarrassing, uncomfortable and irritating for guys to have dandruff in hair. It rather creates an awkward situation to deal with when white flakes appear on the shoulders. But it’s not something which could not be treated; of course this problem is very much manageable.
The overgrowth of Malassezia, a fat eating fungus causes dandruff. It resides on the scalp of adults. A number of shampoos are available in the market which could be tried. Do not stick to one shampoo but try different as per the requirement.
There are various shampoos available…
- There are shampoos that contain antibacterial and antifungal agent (zinc pyrithione) which can fight with the fungus. Shampoos like Head & Shoulders, American Crew Anti Dandruff Shampoo contain this agent.
- Then we have shampoos that contain selenium sulfide, which can help in controlling the fungus. But these shampoos may cause discoloration in chemically treated hair. So they must be used carefully by following the directions. Selsun blue has this agent.
- Shampoos containing ketoconazole agent like nizoral can also be helpful
- Shampoos containing tar like coal tar can cause reduction in formation of scaly flakes. Neutrogena comes in this category.
- Shampoos with salicylic acid and vitamin E are also useful in controlling dandruff.
Things to avoid!!!
Regular washing of hair: Guys! You should focus on washing your hair daily. It’s very healthy for hairs which restores the luster of hair and degrades the production of skin dead cells.
Don’t use hair products heavily: Hair styling gels should be used to the minimum level as they contain alcohol which helps the fungus to grow which causes increase in dandruff. There are hair products like Hair Styling Pomade and Hair Styling Gel that do not contain alcohol so they can be tried instead.
Having omega-3 fatty acid: Dandruff could also be caused by the deficiency of these fatty acids. To remove the deficiency of these acids one can have fatty fishes like Salmon and Tuna. And if the person is not a fish eater, he could go for omega-3 supplements.
Too much stress: It’s also believed that too much stress can also cause increase in the dandruff so avoid stress by chilling out.
So boys say goodbye to dandruff and keep your hair healthy and shiny.